Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How I Do An Assignment

SURPRISE! it involves Virgil!

Brief was creating a cartoon character for a new line of cat food treats. I'm not shitting you.

So I started drawing cats. First I thought it would be good to show them doing stuff, being active cats.






 But I kept coming back to this floating, not-so-anthropomorphised cat.




In this one he looks like he's dead, or is a zombie, which isn't going to make people buy the product BUT it gave me an idea.


So I redid the floating cat, trying to make him look less dead.


When I did the colour rough in Photoshop I decided to give him the hypno eye treatment.


I got the go ahead from my tutor, and followed his advice about using acrylic. I did a rough undercolour and worked over it with the cat's darker coat colours, so you can see the lighter colour underneath. 


After that I did the same thing for the background and stuck the cut-out cat over it, then fiddled with adjustment layers a bit to get this:




Now I've just got to get a better scan of the background (because my scanner is rubbish), then I'll replace the slightly faded one in Illustrator

No comments:

Post a Comment